In 933, the dukes of Normandy ceded the Cotentin Peninsula to the Viking Rollo and his descendants. The Mont Saint Michel Abbey, located on the peninsula, was subsequently controlled by Benedictine monks from Fontenelle.
The Cloister commenced by Thomas des Chambres was finished by Raoul de Villedieu, in 1228. The general form is an irregular quadrilateral figure composed of four galleries that surround the discovered yard or area of the Cloister.
When one leaves the nave by a small gate on the north side of the church, and descends several steps, he/she can view what remains of the primitive abbey buildings which extended to the north side of the church at end of the 13th century.