The hall called Knights’ hall was begun in 1215 by Robert des Isles who died in 1218. Thomas des Chambres who succeeded him, finished it about 1220. It was called Knights’ hall only after the institution of the Order of Saint-Michel, established by Louis XI in 1469 ; it was used before as the Hall of the general assemblies or as that of the Chapter of the Abbey.
The new inhabitants of Mont Saint-Michel kept the buildings from going to ruin but they do not seem to have taken any great care to keep them intact. In 1627, they built a windmill on the bastion Gabriel and made many interior changes. Many marks of their dissensions are unfortunately visible and but few of their works are to be found now.