The Refectory commenced by Jourdain and finished by his successor Raoul des Isles, about 1215, is unquestionably the most beautiful hall of the Merveille. It is composed of a double nave the vaults of which formed by transverse and pointed arches, adorned at their junction by a sculptured rosette, and supported by a cluster of columns like those of the Almonry. The proportions of this hall, of which gives one the idea are very well-conceived and, according to the simplicity of the details of the architecture, the general effect is very grand.
The Almonry or alms’ room, is composed of two naves. The roman plain groined vaults of a pointed form rest on a cluster of strong and thick columns the bases and the capitals of which are square. It is lighted by two small windows with deep bendings, pierced between the buttresses, two on the east and six on the north; they open out in the interior of the room and there are stone benches in the slayings.
In order to keep an exact remembrance of the Merveille, it is necessary to visit in the following order the two distinct buildings of which it is composed: from the court of the Merveille the visitor enters by the Porch and the Gate which opens at the foot of the tower of the Gorbins he will see the Almonry and theContinue reading “The Merveille”